Mayor Mahoney — an Experienced Medical Doctor, Business Person and Leader
Dr. Tim Mahoney is an astute businessman, having worked in private practice and large healthcare organizations. Because Tim has managed employees and run businesses, he has real, applicable insights into all aspects of running a successful company.
As Mayor, he’s shown that he understands the needs of the business community. He stays keenly attuned to attracting new business and supporting entrepreneurial dreams. He’ll stay committed to growing the local economy with initiatives that continue to build a better Fargo. Fargo needs a business friendly environment to help with growth and attract organizations.
Dr. Mahoney is a board-certified surgeon. He works at LRHC and is licensed in North Dakota and Minnesota. Because he’s part-time in group practice, he has the flexibility to be able to dedicate time to city business. He will continue the good work he’s already started.
Tim has held leadership posts throughout his career, including serving as Chief of Surgery for several regional hospitals, teaching at UND School of Medicine’s Department of Surgery, serving as a board member for area medical centers, and holding executive positions in multiple medical corporations.
He has helped frame new business partners that improved health care delivery in the community. He has received multiple awards, but the one he is most proud of is being named North Dakota Community Physician of the Year in 2010 for his efforts in the flood fight in 2009.
- Bachelor of Science from Notre Dame University in 1971
- Medical degree from combined UND School of Medicine and Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA in 1974.
- Surgical residency at Hennepin County Medical Center, Minneapolis, MN in 1980
- Master’s degree in Health Care Management from Harvard School of Public Health in 2005
Tim is a North Dakota native who grew up in Devils Lake. He and his wife, Kathy, live in south Fargo. His youngest son, Dylan, is attending NDSU. They also have three grown children: Ryan, Kaileen, Colin, and 5 grandchildren.
Keeping family and community close to heart, Tim and Kathy live and work in Fargo. Tim has worked in Fargo since 1980, and Kathy works as an RN at Sanford. They enjoy time with family and friends hunting, fishing, golfing, gardening, lake time, waterskiing, four-wheeling, and snowmobiling. They are avid Bison fans.
Active State Task Force Service
- ND Trauma Committee
- Governor’s Council of Emergency Medical Services
- Advanced Life Support Task Force
- North Dakota American College of Surgeons
- Metro Flood Task Force
- Lake Agassiz Water Authority Board
- FM Economic Development
- Mayor’s Blue-Ribbon Commission on Addiction
- Community Development Commission
- Police Liaison
- Economic Development Commission for Fargo
- Sustainability and Resiliency Committee
- Finance Committee
- Personnel Evaluation Committee
- Public Works Projects Evaluation Committee
- FM Diversion Finance Committee
- Mayor’s Budget Committee